Attention: For textbook, access codes and supplements are not guaranteed with used items.
Successful cost management and value engineering in construction is based on accurate and early estimations of cost, and this book is the quickest route to creating a cost plan from scratch. The budgeting system described in this book will help the reader to:
- document project scope at a level that provides excellent cost control at design stage
- establish the parameters of potential sites before selecting one
- determine the amount of financing needed before deciding to bid on a project
- make a detailed and robust building project budget
- determine the rental rate necessary to see if a building project will be marketable
The technique used is a parametric cost system, not the square foot cost system used by most who quote an up-front building cost. To help calculate the parameter quantities and price them as quantified, this book comes with 5 electronic templates to calculate program scope; i.e. space, configuration, HVAC loads, plumbing and electrical. It also includes:
- the authors parametric cost database and cost template to prepare the construction estimate
- a soft cost template to price out all related program costs, convert them to a monthly cash flow, incorporate financing costs and then reveal the final budget
- an operation and maintenance annual cost template to calculate those variable and fixed costs necessary to run the building and then convert the result into the necessary rental rate to capitalize all costs
The spreadsheets, data, advice, and templates, are all introduced through a detailed case study, placing everything in an easy to understand practical context. This will prove an invaluable guide not only for estimators and cost engineers, but also developers, clients, and architects.